Thursday, November 4, 2010

When to say enough is enough

Stuff is everywhere. It fills your closets, gets laid out in the floor, it's everywhere and it's causing you grief! Those dresses you never wear, those shoes that always stay in the closet. Those purses hanging unused. Little knick knacks all over your house collecting dust/have to be dusted. It's everywhere and it's time to say ENOUGH!

Part of being green is knowing when you have enough and be content in where you are. If you haven't used it in a year it's time to let someone else have a go. Your items that go unnoticed might end up being someone's new treasure. I am not saying throw out your grandmother's china or extremely sentimental items. But I can say as a woman that one dress I wore for one performance that I keep in the closet won't last forever. Take a picture, remember the moment you had in it, and let someone else have it.

I used to sell my items and trade them, but now I have realized how much time and effort was spent to do so and I have switched into a total giving mode.

Example- My pest control guy game out and was inspecting different rooms and we went into our basement den where all the riding toys for the kids are and he was just admiring this ride on plane and talking about where I got it and going on and on and so forth. Well, I had gotten it from a kid's consignment so it wasn't likely he was going to find one anywhere. My kids are 2-4 and really didn't miss it when we had to move it downstairs.. so when he came back in.. I gave it to him and his two little boys :) It freed up space in my life and also impacted another human being in a positive way. And that needs to happen more often!

I believe in making space in your life for the good things you open yourself up to. If you are constantly clinging onto everything your hands and hearts are not open to receive what it coming your way.

So I challenge you on this very day to go pick one item out of each room that you don't use and give it to someone/donate it to charity. I guarantee you will not miss it and your kids won't miss those toys that rarely if ever got played with in the bottoms of the bins.

Good luck!
Elizabeth- Who's Green

1 comment: